The Test Kit
Thanks to Measuring Broadband New Zealand, if you are selected to participate you will receive a SamKnows Test Kit containing:
- The Whitebox (including 1 x Ethernet cable and 1 x Power supply) to collect data
- Access to the SamKnows One dashboard to view your metrics and analyse your results
- An e-report card that summarises your monthly internet performance
- A download of the SamKnows Speedtest App to run tests on your mobile broadband wherever you are
- Guidance on your internet performance through blog posts and tips on our social media pages
The SamKnows Whitebox
The Whitebox is a purpose-built hardware measurement agent capable of measuring fixed-line broadband connections of up to 1Gbps.
It supports a wide range of measurements, from download speed to packet loss, and can detect cross-traffic. This means that it only runs tests when you are not heavily using your internet, and it won't interfere with your current internet activity such as streaming a movie, playing games, and so on.
SamKnows One Dashboard
On the SamKnows One dashboard, your cloud-based web portal, you can:
- Generate charts to visualise your internet performance over time
- Track trends and spot problems
- Export reports to share with your friends, family or internet provider
Using this intuitive and powerful tool, you can be confident about your internet connection.
Did you know that…
The Whitebox only runs tests when you're not using the internet? It checks your network activity and if the line is busy, it will wait a while and try again later. This is called cross traffic detection.
We do this so your Whitebox measures your internet performance under the same network conditions, and doesn't interfere with your internet experience.
The Report Card
Your e-report card will summarise your internet performance from the previous month. Reminding you of your provider and plan, it will allow you to spot any discrepancy you might not have noticed otherwise. You will also find internet-performance related news and updates. To dig into it and better understand your internet performance, log into your SamKnows One dashboard and analyse your results.